Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Culture question

  1. #21
    Inactive Member rev.tsukiyama's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2002
    Posts
    273
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Only in Glasgow!

  2. #22
    Inactive Member Shia's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    it was in Aberdeen ^^;; looking back, it might have been my bad english.. but there again, I had no trouble understanding people in the rest of GB...

  3. #23
    Inactive Member yukawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2002
    Posts
    441
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    we're now about 3 canadians but you'Re both in ontario *snif* oh, "indian" ^^ I got amerindian blood too but I like it here and no one care. I'd like to go to a pow pow [err, is that the right word? ^^;;]

    Anyway, is it only me or do kids scares me these times? They all seems to big, like always trying to be older then they are... There is 7 year old kids wering mini skirt and costumes like Brithney Spear's of Shakira's, with hightheals and all. And they swore so mcuh. And are rude. and leaned certains things they shouldn't even know about!! >.<

    Today when coming back from school I saw that cute girl walking with two boys.they couldn't have been more then 9 yeas old. She had her hair die black-blueish, wore white make-up, red lips, black nails, black leather pants and black tee-shirt with an anarchy sign. How could someone not more then 9 years old could be GOTHIC?? What happens to childs these days?? why do babies have to walk and talk perfectly very soon?? with all those expensive costumes they parents buys them, they can't jump in the mud anymore! That was so great from what I remember..*dreamy look*

    An its not like I'm -old- or anything...realy!

  4. #24
    Inactive Member rev.tsukiyama's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2002
    Posts
    273
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Shia:
    it was in Aberdeen ^^;; looking back, it might have been my bad english.. but there again, I had no trouble understanding people in the rest of GB...</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Well, I'm from Grimsby but I've picked up a Yorkshire accent. Ee by gum. Put wood in't door etc etc whatever all that means...Which at home I mix with random Japanese slang and currently broken German, in preparation for my German friend visiting tomorrow. ^^;;

    Oh and I grew up pretty quick. But I had really liberal parents who let me wear makeup and dye my hair and dress how I wanted when I was a kid. Having said that I'm still pretty immature at times...

  5. #25
    Inactive Member akuma_of_chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13th, 2003
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm currently living in Australia but I originally come from Myanmar, which is just below China in case you're wondering.

    There it's different rules. Myanmar people are very touchy-feely but only with your close family it's almost taken for granted.You are expected to be respectful to your elders and no swearing or talking back. In Myanmar religion rules. That is why Christianity will never be the primary religion in Myanmar, they are just too religious and superstitious. I'm not saying that's a bad thing so no one flame me.

    Dating lotsa of people is a big nono. If you date one person you'll probably end up marrying them, which is a tad annoying I have to admit. No premarital sex either.

  6. #26
    Inactive Member kimitha's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Shia:
    it was in Aberdeen ^^;; looking back, it might have been my bad english.. but there again, I had no trouble understanding people in the rest of GB...</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    aberdonians have weird accents...they have a strange lilt to their speech,

  7. #27
    Inactive Member kimitha's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Shia:
    it was in Aberdeen ^^;; looking back, it might have been my bad english.. but there again, I had no trouble understanding people in the rest of GB...</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    aberdonians have weird accents...they have a strange lilt to their speech, though i can't really say anything, my accent is a mix of ayrshire and glasweigian *shudder*

    @ tsukiyama saunt - i've always like the sound of "grimsby", whenever i think of it i end up thinking of coronation street for some reason [img]confused.gif[/img]

  8. #28
    Inactive Member tenjou_sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's a question. Does anyone have any interesting slang words that anyone from outside your country might not know about or what they mean?

    @kimitha: I absolutly love your avatar! Where is it from? ^_^

  9. #29
    Inactive Member jadey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2003
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hehe thats a fun question. Im my area we have alot of made up slang which ppl only around here get. a bunch of friends and i have even started writting a book called :The Book Of Woo-Woo... woo-woo being a slang term which basically means awesome. examples are..

    wiggity; wiggity mobile: means very hip or stylish
    coo-coo: cooler than cool (lol yes it is possible)
    mad in combination with anyword: means alot, ex:mad excited, mad stupid, mad lot of people
    chill; chillen: probably a word used everywhere, but we use it for everything then of course we swear all the time. im a culprit to that, but only around friends.

    theres tons more but they are kinda repetitive and alot are pretty common

    <font color="#660033" size="1">[ April 13, 2003 11:16 PM: Message edited by: jadey ]</font>

  10. #30
    Inactive Member Mikochan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    71
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Culture...

    Dunno. I'm a blur head at the best of times. I'm from malaysia, but i live in brunei. The stand up & greet your teacher thing is the norm of primary and secondary schools, but since i entered form 6 [pre-uni thing] this yr we didnt hav to do that anymore...

    No eating, no drinking in class. but durig my last year at my previous school we kinda didnt care anymore...I could even get away with NEVER copying my biology notes, physics, geography... [but no one can complain because i managed to get good grades for those subjects in the public exams--so there! Nyer nyer nyer XP <--is being a lil' brat]
    but then my class was the black sheep of the lot ^^;; The other classes were taking different subjects so they had to take notes or die--academically of course.

    Languages - well almost all the ppl in brunei are billingual [english + compulsory national language which is malay] and most chinese are trillingual [+ chinese mother tongue [img]tongue.gif[/img] ]

    about the not locked doors thing...in my mother's hometown in sarawak, my grandmother's house never locks the doors windows, or even closes them in fact. it got so that now the locks are rusty and cant be turned... well it seems that NOBODY locks their doors or closes the windows other than because of rain...

    One of my cousins from there came to Miri, a town 10 mins away by plane and 2-3hours away by boat. the town is pretty big and has lots of stuff and shopping places.

    He made the mistake of not chaining up his bike when he went away to do something and his bike got stolen...that's because he was too used to his hometown and there no one would steal your bike. Probably because if u stole it everyone would know whose bike it was and there'd be virtually no way to ship it out of that little jungle surrounded town without anyone noticing... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •